Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Great Romance


If I were scared to watch a sunrise,
Angered by a songbird’s call,
Put out by a flower’s blooming,
At the stars that shine appalled,
Disgusted with a healthy garden,
Bearing fruit I would not eat,
Or maddened by a smiling baby,
Soured at some dessert sweet,
I’d scowl at children laughing near me,
Frown at snowfall calm and white,
Spit at pups that beg attention,
Curse the moon that welcomes night.

Were I to disdain the beauty
Of a simple butterfly,
Or to mock the quiet humming
Of a mother’s lullaby,
Then would I not deny the wonder
Of a firefly midst the trees?
And fail to notice in the tropics
When relief comes on the breeze?
I’d turn my head from all that proves
Existence of a God who loves,
And thus deny myself the chance
To live within the Great Romance.