Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ever Wonder?

THE MEANING

What does it mean for the heart to open,
When memory’s flood reappears,
Where does it take us to places forgotten,
And how can we see it all clear?

Whenever we look straight into the sunlight
It’s blinding to one who is not prepared
But when we are ready to see what it shines on
True lessons are learned from what’s there.

Relationships past and long since unbidden
Are coming to mind and exposed in the heart
Teaching me why I was there in the first place
And truths they were meant to impart.

The spirits of people I loved in this lifetime
Will always remain close at hand
And recalling their laughter, their touch,
Or their eyes brings back what we couldn’t have planned.

What does it mean to love one another
The way that the Lord has loved us?
Isn’t there surely a permanent marker
On souls that have empathized much?

I praise the artist in heaven above
For finally drawing my heart
Out of its shelter that served as a prison
And kept us all trapped in the dark.

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I keep trying to leave you a comment so please excuse if you already received this.
    I was moved to tears with the poem titled "The Meaning". the verse "teachiing me why I was there in the first place and truths they were meant to impart" was very powerful.
    I also loved the free will. The break down you did about the person who drinks too much was absoulute truth put in such simple terms.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,

    Thank you so much for leaving your comment! I really appreciate it, and am so glad that you were touched by the poetry. I am blessed that you were blessed!

    ReplyDelete