Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Way we Are

THE BOX

I’d settle you inside a box,
Attach a heavy safety lock,
Sure to lose the key in time
I’d give up hope and never find
A way to take you out again
To trust in how the heart can mend.

I trapped you like you said I would,
Assumed that you were far from good,
For I had made the worst mistake
In trusting you to help me make
The most of what I came to need
Beyond the time it took to grieve.

I never could have guessed that you
Would not conform to who I knew
When once we promised it would last
Although it happened far too fast
For one as insecure as I
In terms of how we made love die.

If it were not for greater good
You’d still be there misunderstood
And I would be consumed with fear
Not knowing change was real and near
Unlocked within surrender’s prize
Released by Him who can not lie.


KDC 6/08

1 comment:

  1. been thinking about you..I come here out of habit, looking for some glimpse of how you might be.
    looks like you are turning it over and figuring it out. letting it out?
    perhaps?
    I like this one.." not knowing change was real and near"

    ReplyDelete