Thursday, November 15, 2007

Essence

ESSENCE

They stand like trees
In a fallen world
Blown but not bending
Yielding nothing
But protection,
Uprightly strong and true.

We admire them
From the shade below
In awe of their power
Within the storms
That seek to destroy
The greatest among the living.

I am yet a sapling,
Growing but weak,
Giving way to the wind
And feeling the sway
That too often results
From reality’s cold condition.

Still I am determined
To be an example
Of beauty for the forest,
Notable and awesome
For nothing but essence,
Nothing of my own design.


KDC
11/07

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! it's so good to see you writing again! I have been holding you in my thoughts and sending love your way!
    please be good to yourself!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a fellow sapling I must say you captured the view perfectly...although I could probably use some more fertilizer right about now

    The poem is as beautiful as the one who gave the words their voice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete